Pastor Dave Martin, Cross Creek Community Church, Dec 1, 2019
“The Time has Come” Christmas
- The Old Testament contains over 300 prophecies that Jesus fulfilled through His life, death and resurrection.
- The future is foretold in Bible prophecy with 100% accuracy.
- Mathematical probability of prophecy fulfillment is staggering.
2 Tim 3:16 “The whole Bible was given to us by inspiration from God…”
- Malachi, God’s final O.T. prophet speaks of the coming Messiah.
- Israel’s priests & people once again spiritually backslide.
- God warns the Israelites, the Messiah and judgment is coming.
Malachi 3:1-2 1 “See, I will send my messenger [John the Baptist], who will prepare the way before me. Then suddenly the Lord you are seeking will come to his temple; the messenger of the covenant [Jesus the Christ], whom you desire, will come,” says the Lord Almighty. 2 But who can endure the day of his coming? Who can stand when he appears? For he will be like a refiner’s fire or a launderer’s soap. (See Mt 11:7-10, Isa 40:3, Jn 1:23)
Malachi 4:5-6 5 “See, I will send you the prophet Elijah before that great and dreadful day of the Lord comes. 6 He will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers; or else I will come and strike the land with a curse.” (See Lu 1:16-17, Jn 1:19-27, Mt 11:11-15)
- 400 “silent years” between the Old and New Testaments
- T. completed, now God is “silent” in speaking through His prophets… Winds of Time & change blow across the earth…
- Jewish Ideological split into two major parties: The Pharisees were conservative/law while the Sadducees were liberal/relative…
- Roman Empire gains control of Palestine in 63BC…Merging of cultures and languages, sports, activities, infrastructure, roads, rulers and kings, connections being made politically & religiously…
- Getting the world ready for the dissemination of the Gospel message
Everything is now ready for the advent of Christ/Messiah…
Events are put into motion…
- God sends His angel Gabriel to Zechariah the Priest, Lu 1:5-80
- Specially _______: Zechariah (God remembers) & Elizabeth (His own)
Luke 1:5-10 5 In the time of Herod king of Judea there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly division of Abijah; his wife Elizabeth was also a descendant of Aaron. 6 Both of them were upright in the sight of God, observing all the Lord’s commandments and regulations blamelessly. 7 But they had no children, because Elizabeth was barren; and they were both well along in years. 8 Once when Zechariah’s division was on duty and he was serving as priest before God, 9 he was chosen by lot, according to the custom of the priesthood, to go into the temple of the Lord and burn incense. 10 And when the time for the burning of incense came, all the assembled worshipers were praying outside.
- God hears and answers the _____________ of His saints, vs 11-19
Luke 1:11-13 11 Then an angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing at the right side of the altar of incense. 12 When Zechariah saw him, he was startled and was gripped with fear. 13 But the angel said to him: “Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to give him the name John.
- Zechariah prophesied about his son John’s ___________, vs 23-25, 57-80
Luke 1:67-80 67 His father Zechariah was filled with the Holy Spirit and prophesied: 68 “Praise be to the Lord, the God of Israel, because he has come and has redeemed his people… 76 And you, my child, will be called a prophet of the Most High; for you will go on before the Lord to prepare the way for him, 77 to give his people the knowledge of salvation through the forgiveness of their sins… 80 And the child grew and became strong in spirit; and he lived in the desert until he appeared publicly to Israel.
Galatians 4:4 “But when the right time came, God sent his Son, born of a woman…”
JESUS came for YOU!
“He paid for you with the precious lifeblood of Christ, the sinless, spotless Lamb of God. God chose Him for this purpose long before the world began, but now in these final days, He was sent to the earth for all to see. And He did this for you.” 1 Peter 1:19-20