Pastor Dave Martin, Cross Creek Community Church, September 23, 2018
“God’s Call” part 2
Exodus 2-3, Acts 7
Numbers 33:1-2 1 Here are the stages in the journey of the Israelites when they came out of Egypt by divisions under the leadership of Moses and Aaron. 2 At the LORD’s command Moses recorded the stages in their journey. This is their journey by stages…
“LIFE IS A JOURNEY”
- God sovereignly works His plans.
Exodus 2:10 When the child grew older, she took him to Pharaoh’s daughter and he became her son. She named him Moses, saying, “I drew him out of the water.”
Exodus 2:24-25 God heard their groaning and he remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac and with Jacob. So God looked on the Israelites and was concerned about them.
- He hears His people the Israelites, cry out for help.
- God raises up a person for “such a time as this”. (Est 4:14)
- Moses indoctrinated with Egyptian culture for 40 years.
Acts 7:22 Moses was educated in all the wisdom of the Egyptians and was powerful in speech and action.
Exodus 2:11 One day, after Moses had grown up, he went out to where his own people were and watched them at their hard labor. He saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew, one of his own people.
- He was educated in the finest universities of Egypt…
- He watched his people being mistreated… Heart changing…
- “One day” Moses acted in his own power.
Exodus 2:11-12 One day after Moses had grown up… saw Egyptian beating a Hebrew… Glancing this way and that and seeing no one, he killed the Egyptian and hid him in the sand.
Exodus 2:14-15 14 The man said, “Who made you ruler and judge over us? Are you thinking of killing me as you killed the Egyptian?” Then Moses was afraid and thought, “What I did must have become known.” 15 When Pharaoh heard of this, he tried to kill Moses, but Moses fled from Pharaoh and went to live in Midian, where he sat down by a well.
- Moses fled Egypt in fear and failure.
- God refines Moses in the desert for another 40 years.
Isaiah 48:10 See, I have refined you, though not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction.
- A “Burning Bush” experience with God.
Exodus 3:1-4,10 1 Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian, and he led the flock to the far side of the desert and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. 2 There the angel of the LORD appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up. 3 So Moses thought, “I will go over and see this strange sight–why the bush does not burn up.” 4 When the LORD saw that he had gone over to look, God called to him from within the bush, “Moses! Moses!” And Moses said, “Here I am.” … 10 So now, go. I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt.”
- Moses has been refined & spiritually ready, God calls…
- Choice to embrace God’s call or make excuses…
“A true and safe leader is likely one who has no desire to lead, but is forced into a position of leadership by the inward pressure of the Holy Spirit and by the press of the external situation” A.W. Tozer
Journey of Life…
- Be living faithfully to God’s Word.
- Be burdened with God’s heart.
- Be willing to obey God’s call.