Pastor Dave Martin, Cross Creek Community Church, August 5, 2018
Storms of Life!
“The Shipwreck” – Acts 27:27-44
- We often experience “open-ended” storms… vs27-38
Acts 27:33-34 33 Just before dawn Paul urged them all to eat. “For the last fourteen days,” he said, “you have been in constant suspense and have gone without food–you haven’t eaten anything. 34 Now I urge you to take some food. You need it to survive. Not one of you will lose a single hair from his head.”
- Struggles with emotional & physical weakness.
- Maintaining a vital connection with God, is critical.
- God shows up, infusing hope, courage & direction.
- “Shipwrecks” do happen… vs39-41
Acts 27:39-41 39 When daylight came, they did not recognize the land, but they saw a bay with a sandy beach, where they decided to run the ship aground if they could. 40 Cutting loose the anchors, they left them in the sea and at the same time untied the ropes that held the rudders. Then they hoisted the foresail to the wind and made for the beach. 41 But the ship struck a sandbar and ran aground. The bow stuck fast and would not move, and the stern was broken to pieces by the pounding of the surf.
- Strengthened in the faith, now able to face anything.
- New day… New vision… New courage… New direction…
- Hoist your sails, cut the anchors and step out in faith…
- God works out His perfect plan… vs42-44
Acts 27:42-44 42 The soldiers planned to kill the prisoners to prevent any of them from swimming away and escaping. 43 But the centurion wanted to spare Paul’s life and kept them from carrying out their plan. He ordered those who could swim to jump overboard first and get to land. 44 The rest were to get there on planks or on pieces of the ship. In this way everyone reached land in safety. (276 people)
- Jesus came to rescue the shipwrecked perishing souls.
- Through the daily circumstances of our lives.
- God promises help in “time of need”.
- Shine bright for Jesus!
Romans 15:13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.