Pastor Dave Martin, Cross Creek Community Church, June 23, 2019
The Holy Spirit, part 1 of 5
John 10:10b “… I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.” nkjv
- Who is the Holy Spirit?
Actively involved at creation… Genesis 1:1-2 1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
Actively involved at the Incarnation… Luke 1:35 The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.
Actively involved in inspiration of scriptures… 2 Peter 1:21 For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
Actively involved in our personal salvation… John 3:5 Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.
Co-equal with God the Father and God the Son… Matthew 28:18-20 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
2. Be Aware of the Holy Spirit’s Ministry…
- He convicts/convinces of sin (Tugs on the heart) – Jn 16:8-10
- He produces Salvation through faith – Jn 3:8
- He sets us free from sin – Rom 8:1-2
- He baptizes us into the body of Christ – 1Co 12:13
- He, God the Holy Spirit Indwells us – 1Co 6:19-20; Rom 8:9
- He secures us eternally – Jn 14:16
- He teaches and guides into truth – Jn 16:13; 14:26
- He brings glory to Christ, not Himself – Jn 16:14
- He assures us of the reality of our salvation – Rom 8:16
- He adopts us into God’s family – Rom 8:15,23
- He helps us to pray when we’re weak – Rom 8:26-27
- He Imparts spiritual gift(s) – 1Co 12:11
- He produces spiritual fruit – Gal 5:22-23
- He seals us and guarantee’s our future – 2Co 1:22; Eph 1:13-14
- He empowers us to make an eternal difference – Acts 1:8
- He warns of danger & leads us – Acts 20:22-23
- He restrains wickedness and evil – 2Thes 2:7
- He emboldens us to stand strong for God – Acts 6:10; Acts 9:31
- He graces us with skill, ability & knowledge – Ex 31:3
- He opens our access to the Father – Eph 2:18
(This is a non-exhaustive list)
3. BUT know this, God the Holy Spirit can be…
- RESISTED, stiff armed… Acts 7:51 “You stiff-necked people, with uncircumcised hearts and ears! You are just like your fathers: You always resist the Holy Spirit!
- GRIEVED, pained by sin… Eph 4:30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
- QUENCHED, suppressed by disobedience… 1 Thes 5:19 Do not put out the Spirit’s fire;
Be living an abundant life!
Be sensitive – Be clean – Be filled
Ephesians 5:15-18 15 Be very careful, then, how you live–not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. 18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.